Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thats So What...?

For school, I have to write a paper about the phrase that's so gay. And that got me thinking about the whole thing. So, here's my own opinion of the whole subject.
I think it's stupid that people use the term that's so gay to describe things in a negative manner. Like, if you want to say something is stupid, you say something is stupid. You don't target a racial or group, because that's just offensive.
I have many friends who a gay or bi. They are the nicest people on the planet. When you say 'that's so gay', you may or may not realize what you are doing, or saying. When I hear that saying, I hear nails on the chalkboard. I think of the struggles of the gay community, how hard it is for someone to admit to themselves, and their families, that they are gay, and there may be some people who were once friends, became their enimies. They have to have a sense of honesty with themselves, in addition to the world around them, that they are different, and want different things than perhaps others day. I give them so much credit, and respect, because they have to go through that, and coming out to someone seems like the hardest thing for someone to do, because they worry that maybe people won't look at them the same way.
To all of the people who that's so gay, please stop it. It is rude, and hurtful. It's bullying, to put it simply, it's a word that should not be used, and should be extinct from our vocabulary. So, please think about what you're saying. And then, if you doubt it, shut your mouth.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment