Friday, October 21, 2011

Devotion.

Devotion. Three syllables.  Eight letters. But what does it mean? It’s no black and white answer, it’s purely gray, meaning that there is no exact definition, but we could find a definition through example, not through words. There are people, more mature than I am, who show this word, rather than define it. The definition of devotion, in my book, is being there for someone, through thick, and thin, through the good, the bad, and the ugly. When I see devotion, I think of my grandma taking care of my grandma. When I see this, I see someone who truly cares about that other person. Devotion is something that means love.
When I hear the word devotion, my mind takes a little trip in time to when my grandma took care of my grandpa, who was a victim of Alzheimer's disease. When he couldn’t walk, she used to lift him into a wheelchair. She changed his diapers, and did whatever she could to take care of him, including sacrificing her own sanity, by not getting out much, unless it was a hundred percent necessary. When he didn’t want to take his pills, she would nag him, until he said somethings that I will not repeat (he wasn’t a violent man, it was the dementia), until he would break down, and take them just to shut her up. When he was confined to live in a nursing home, she would race up there as soon as she can, and leave when the nurses would tell her that visiting hours were over. This is devotion, because she was focused on him, through the good times in their marriage, and through the last five years, which involved her personal sacrifices, just to keep him happy, and healthy.
When I see the word devotion, I think of someone who actually cares about the other person. Marriage, is an example of this. Nowadays, I feel like that people don’t take marriage seriously. Devotion, is part of the marriage. The older couples, would do anything to take care of the other, which is devotion, whereas some of the younger couples would leave their spouses when they have other things to do, or they find someone else to do the things that their previous spouse was unable to do. Caring about someone, and being devote to them, is part of a loving marriage, and one that lasts.
Devotion is part of my definition of love. If you are in love with someone, you are devote to them. You will do anything for them, you will go to any lengths humanly possible to make them happy, even if it involves not being able to do something that is more fun than what you have to do. When you love someone, you have to be there for someone. There has to be more than just the physical, and the “hey you’re kinda cute” thing. Love is truly making an effort for them.
Devotion. It’s something that we hear about it. Maybe we will see it, but it is rare, a once in a lifetime kinda thing. It’s something that I saw with my grandparents. It involves you caring about them. And it’s called love.

No comments:

Post a Comment