Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunshine.

Sunshine is more than just a giant ball of light in the sky. It can be a person, place or thing, basically its a representation of hope. For me, sunshine is a feeble eighty year old man, who is always smiling back at me, who radiates happiness.
My grandfather was a primary figure in my life as I grew up. I always was close with my maternal grandparents, Sonny and Millie. I always thought it was normal for people's grandparents to live five minutes away, up until I was like five or six. My grandfather would be the one always out for a good time, living his life carefree, while my grandmother would be the one keeping house, and worrying about everything. He was once in the army, driving soldiers around instead of throwing greenades, and fifty years later he began to drive around a much different set of soldiers, my cousins and I. He would take us anywhere, whether it was out for Breakfast on a Sunday, or a fun day out on the beach.
As I got older, so did my grandfather. When I was twelve, my grandfather was diagnosed with dementia. As a seventh grader I didn't realize what that actually meant. However, as I got older, I then saw what it did to his wellbeing. He forgot who I was, or even how to eat.
The last two years of his life were spent in and out of nursing homes and hospitals. I would visit him every Sunday, and in a sense, it was bittersweet. Whenever I would see him, he would make me happy, because he was this cute and innocent old man who used to radiate happiness. However, it killed me to see him like that, so sick, and so frail.
 He died on a rainy Wenesday afternoon, after ten days without food or water.
In his life, he taught me many things. In his death, I know I try to live them. He taught me to never refuse money, to never buy a used car, because you're gaining someone else's headache, and if you want something done right, you best do it yourself. He taught me many other things, however, I just can't remember them.
Happy 85th birthday, Grandpa! We all miss you more and more everyday, and each and every one of us think of you, and the good memories that you've left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment