Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mothers and Daughters


I'm currently reading the book Reviving Orphelia. (great book by the way, I totally recommend it.) Today, I reached the chapter about mothers and daughters, and I got to thinking. So I put my thinking cap on. (Yes, I just said thinking cap...deal with it bro)
Mothers and daughters tend to be in two extremes-never get along, like Lorelai and Emily Gilmore, or the best of friends, like Rory and Lorelai (yes, I just used Gilmore Girls as a reference, but keep in mind, I haven't seen them in close to a month, I'm going through withdrawel here.) Is the relationship between mother and daughter something that will always change over time, when the daughter is a teenager and rebels, but then later on realizes that her mother is her friend, not her foe, and when the daughter is one day forced to take care of the mother in her old age, reversing the role of caretaker.
Mothers sometimes, can be a pain in the ass, not going to lie. Sometimes, they tend to think that they are all that, and decide to be the daughter's best friend, not her mother. Sometimes, a mother needs to be a friend, so the daughter can come to her mother whenever she has problems in life, and then sometimes, she needs to pull the “mom card.”
My mother and I have a weird relationship, I guess. Sometimes, she can be my best friend, and sometimes, she can be annoying. I guess as the author of the book says, that's normal for a teenage girl and her mother. I sometimes feel weird if I ask her for some boy advice.
A mother is someone that will always be there for always. She was the one that took care of you before you were born. She gave birth to you. She took care of you when you were little, and unknowingly cried and kept her up all night. A mother is someone who will be there to mend your scabbed knee, and your broken heart. Sometimes, we may fight with them, but all is well in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment