Tuesday, February 1, 2011

People.

In life, there are people that come in and change our way of thinking, guide us, in the right direction, and don't give up on us. Those kind of people are like heaven sent, guardian angels, in a human form.
In my life, I have been blessed with many kinds of people, coming, and in the end usually going. One person that always remained consistant, is my grandfather.
Many people think it's wierd nowadays that I'm so close with my grandparents. After all, many kids in this generation, usually think of their grandparents as a twenty for christmas, and their birthday, living in a condo, or an retirement home. Some are unfortunate that their grandparents are deceased before they were even born.
I was a very lucky person, to get to know my grandfather. Everyday, my mother would have dropped me off at their house to spend my day there, because my mother being a recently divorced single mother, and had no other way of getting good child care.
My grandfather was an unselfish man. He loves his wife, children, and grandchildren, very much, and did everything he possibly can. I, being a sick child, had a lot of doctor's appointments. He was there for everything from eye exams, surgery, emergency room visits and MRIs, and much more. And after that, we would go out to lunch, or for ice cream.
Other than medical reasons, he was still there, always. Whenever I stayed home sick, he was there watching some random cartoon with me. When it was summer, he would take me places, such as out for lunch, out to the beach, and many other places that I can not remember.
In a sense, my grandfather is like my father. I never had one in my life, and in a sense, I became his third child. I'm not saying that my grandmother didn't do as much, I love both of my grandparents equally, and they both did everything for me. Now, at sixteen, he is battling dementia, in the later stages too, I might add. He can no longer walk, nevertheless drive the cars that he once loved. He sits in a rehab center, and no longer can do anything on his own. I now wonder, will he die with hisd dignity, or will his illness be eating that away too?

No comments:

Post a Comment