Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stop Sopa/Pipa

I heard on the news last night that Congress is thinking of passing a bill called SOPA, which basically is censoring the internet. And, being a blogger, the internet is important to me, because that's how my work is being published. That's how people will read my work, and how my writing would get spread around, and of course I have a say on it.
Congress, we have the freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, and the right to worship whatever religon we chose. We have freedom to walk around the streets without constant fear, and we have the right to vote for whoever we chose is fit to be a canidate to run our country. So, why can't the internet be free too?
Before you vote on this bill Congress think of what you are doing. Think of the twenties, when you banned drinking. It didn't do much, other than make people have to hide their drinking in secert. Imagine if you did this to the internet.
If you chose this bill, then you are not thinking about what it will do to your lives. You say that we need to help boost test scores, but without the internet, our students can not research and access information that they need to succeed in life. 
As a blogger, this could affect what I write, and I would have to be censored. I don't want this to happen, because all of my thoughts are completly and utterly my own, and I don't want to have to alter them, nor do I want to have to risk not being able to getting my point accross, because writing my blog helps my words get heard from accross the world.
We have the right to view whatever we need to see on the internet. Do not make this choice for us, and don't take away our right to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment