Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Note to My Little Sister

I often wonder what my life would be like if I didn't do certain things, if I had listened to my gut instead of my hormones, or peers, telling me to do something. Although I can not rewind the past, I can share my experiances with someone else, a friend, or someone who I think of like a little of sister. I'm writing this with Charlotte in mind, so maybe, she wouldn't do as many stupid things as I did when I was her age.
Charlotte, I hope you know you can come to me for anything. I've been there, time and time again, pushing the world out, because you don't trust people for some odd reason or reasons.
Throughout my own freshman year, I only had one goal in mind: to get a boyfriend. I know it was pathetic, but it was true, and it was the only thing that I can remember about it, and I was desperate enough to go out with anyone, even guys who were total creeps. I regret it now, because I could have used that time to make friends, and to find myself so I could eventually be with someone. The key point of this is that, don't go out with someone, just to say you have a boyfriend. Go out with someone because you actually like the kid, and want to get to know them. But, you're smart, and you should know better, but I'm just refreshing your memory.
I also think that guys are the stupidest reasons to not be friends with someone. At the teenage stage in your life, a guy that you are dating right now, probably won't be the guy who you will change your name for. Just because your boyfriend doesn't like your friend, doesn't mean that you shouldn't let her go. Your life is something other than that other person, and although you like your guy a lot, chances are that you will not spend all of your time with him. And you shouldn't, because too much of anything is unhealthy. (and yes, that even includes cookies)
Infatuation and love are two different things, even though they may look the same. Infatuations have a shelf life, love is always classic. Love is something that will never go out of style, while an infatuation would be history after a season.
Never make your life soley deciated to your boyfriend. If that's all you talk about, people will get bored of you, and leave. And then, when he dumps you, he will laugh. In life, everything just needs balance. Learn that and you will be good.
The one thing I also wish I could leave behind, is fear. We all have them, whether of heights, or of love. My best advice, is to avoid this fear, by learning how to get over it, and actually doing the deed. Then you will feel like a boss, and you will no longer have that fear.
Finally, Charlotte, one more thing. Listen to your gut. Not just about relationships, but about everything. It sometimes knows better than you even do.
In life, we all mistakes, some stupid, some smart. It makes us human. But, at the end of the day, learning from them all, and being able to say you made one is the key to becoming stronger, and not repeating that mistake again,

No comments:

Post a Comment