Monday, December 19, 2011

I Know Where I've Been...and Where I want to Go.

Today I went to a meeting of the writing club at my school. I realized that my writing sucks. But other than that, I got inspired by this activity that we were doing. So I decided to apply it here.
I know where I've been. I've been to Sonny and Millie's, with the sound of Millie busy in the kitchen, cooking chicken cutlets, singing loudly and badly to her Italian Music Station. She was wearing a purple floral apron, hands covered in flour, frying pan crinkling. Sonny is in the kitchen, doing his favorite thing-sampling. I've been to the beach, the small cottage, my solid uncle throwing me into the the salt water, wearing one pieces with my favorite cousins, who were more like siblings. I remember Grandpa, and his fake birds, tweeting, and my grandma yelling at him to stop going into the refrigerator to sample Sunday Dinner, because she was afraid that he would get fat.
Sonny and Millie never went anywhere apart. Wherever Grandpa was, there was Grandma, and vice versa. Now, as I get older, I realize how much they really loved each other. I remember traveling around with them, before school was in the picture, and summer vacation.
I remember the hospitals, the doctors, the nurses, and the nursing home, where Sonny had passed away. I remember the words "be happy" vividly, the sad eyes, and the forced smile. You would know that he was in pain, but you would never know it. He would never complain, nor say anything about the pain, he would just smile and talk about the dog.
I remember the days when I waited for a father to come around, and the day would never come. After almost fifteen years of waiting, I have accepted that he would never come, nor that I wanted him to. He has kept me waiting too long, and now I run.
Everyday I see my friends, the good ones who bring me cookies, listen to me while I cry, and hug me whenever I want a hug. The friends who pick you up when you are down, broken, and just want a friend. I see my best friend, with her curly hair that I am jealous of. We bonded over flowers. I see my other best girlfriend, with her witty phrases, and never failing ability to make me laugh, even when I hate the world. I see my best friend of the male species, who always listens to me when I am down, who sometimes I wonder if he is more mature than I am. He taught me many things, although I hate to admit it.
I see my grandmother fall deeper into the hole of depression. Losing your husband makes you go crazy. I see my once strong mother cry over the loss of her father, the pressures of work, and the other people that make her nuts.
In the future I see myself at college, making a living off of this thing called writing. I see myself a wife, with a faithful husband, and a bunch of little children, one name Sonny (Cosmo). I see myself being happy.

Oh, and to anyone whose Jewish out there, Happy Hannaka!!

No comments:

Post a Comment