Friday, June 17, 2011

Father Figures.

It often bothers me when I think about my father. It bothers me that whenever I'm with him, people go up to him and say "I didn't Know you had a daughter." It bothers me that he talks about his stepson like his own and his daughter as a rarity. I may not have a soccor scholarship, and I suck at math. BUT I play a sport, and I am in the concert band, as well as an editor of the school newspaper. I guess I don't mean anything to you Dad. It bothers me that you would rather look at my Facebook Wall, rather than pick up your smartphone and give me a call. It bothered me seeing you and my stepbrother together in a picture, looking like father and son.
Am I your closet child, Dad? I know divorced people, and all of them have healthy relationships with both of their parents, where they don't have to go out for dinners, and hear crap that happened when they weren't even walking yet. Their stepmothers or fathers don't take them out just to catch up, and then just talk about their affairs. They have the respect not to air out thier dirty laundry out in public, especially in the eyes of someone who wasn't old enough to see the effects of what had happened.
I'm sure you're sorry for what you did, and the damage has been done. When I looked at those pictures, I wondered if I would even want you there. You weren't even a part of my school experience. You were too busy doing your secertary. I don't even want to give you a father's day present. I don't even consider you to be a father figure in my life.
My real father is someone that is named Sonny. Sonny raised me, took me everywhere. Sonny is now diagnosed with stage four dementia and lies in a bed in a home where he is wasting away. He spends half of the time sleeping, the other half in a daze. He's blind in one eye, diabetic, and he can't walk, nor eat. And it hurts the most that week after week, I have to walk in there, look at him like that, and know that there's nothing I can do to make his pain go away. I don't want him to have to suffer anything like that, because he never did anything to deserve living that way, a vegetable, not knowing what the hell is going on in his surroundings.
Father figures, I guess are someone that a girl needs in her life. She needs a mother and a father, in my opinion. Even though my mother is great, I always had the desire for a father. I always searched for someone to be proud of me, and for someone to tell me that they love me and I am not a complete failure to them. I guess I will never truely have that, and I am just going to have to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment