Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Not Right.

It still amazes me that even to this day, certain people do not have the freedom to be themselves in public, whether they be gay, and afraid to come out. Whether they enjoy football in a family full of baseball fans, or enjoy music other than what is considered socially acceptable, people tend to hide themselves to fit the mold that society has of us, something that is considered perfect.
A friend of mine, came to me with a probelm. For privacy's sake, we shall call him Kirk. Kirk is a gay individual, and came out a few years ago. As you can imagine, that is hard already. Kirk said that some guy, a tiny guy I might add, was teasing him about being gay. It bothered me, because he has as much right as I do, a straight individual, to be not bullied and to be able to be himself without any sort of fear.
Kirk, I have two quotes for you, that may or may not help. If they don't help, I'm sorry. And if they do, that would be great.
The first one, is a little song called "Born This Way" by Lady GaGa. "You are beautiful in you're own way/cause God makes no mistakes/ I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way." That song is an anthem, because it's true. You are born to be the way you are, and don't be ashamed for being what you are only meant to be.
The second one I heard from Miranda, who quoted Dr. Suess. "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." That quote is true, because the people who truely love you, don't care if you're black, white, green, have two eyes, or a dozen eyes, they don't care what sexual orientation you are, or what you do. They are there for you, through thick and thin. And that's a true friend.
I think we should all stop our judging and actual open our minds to things and people that are different, and stopping hating them soley becase they are different. That, my friends, is not a cool thing for you to do, because judging people isn't a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment